Baking Biscuits  

Posted by: Julie in

A lot of people say that they can’t make homemade biscuits. I used to be one of them. I tried over and over and my biscuits just never turned out.

Well, I kept at it and FINALLY learned how. I thought I’d share with you how I make biscuits.

*********************************************

Ingredients:

2 cups self rising flour

1/2 stick of butter or margarine

1 cup milk (best if you use buttermilk)

********************************************

I start by measuring 2 cups of self rising flour into my mixing bowl:

100_2834

Next you add 1/2 stick of butter or margarine:

100_2835

Sometimes I grate the butter into the flour and other times I just crumble it up into small pieces:

100_2836

Now you want to mix the butter and flour together. Use your hands for this. When you start, it will look similar to this:

100_2838

As you work the butter into the flour it will become crumbly similar to a crumb topping you would put on a dessert:

100_2839

Now you need to add your milk. The biscuits taste best if you use buttermilk. I don’t always have buttermilk on hand so I just use regular milk. They are still yummy!

100_2840

You probably won’t use an entire cup of milk. Just add enough to wet the dough so that it sticks together with out being squishy or overly sticky. I ended up using right at 3/4 cups of milk for this batch:

100_2841

Don’t over mix the dough. Mix it just enough to combine the ingredients. Then turn the dough out onto a floured surface:

100_2842

Sprinkle the top of the dough with a little more self rising flour so it doesn’t stick to your hands.Very gently work the flour into the dough.

100_2843

Again, don’t over work it…just until it’s smooth and you can pat it out.

100_2844

You do not need to roll it out with a rolling pin. It will over work the dough. Pat it out until it’s the thickness you want and cut your biscuits. You can use a biscuit cutter, but if you don’t have one just use a tea glass.

100_2845

Place cut biscuits on a baking sheet so that they are touching each other.

100_2846

Bake at 400* until lightly browned. Spread the tops with butter before serving.

100_2847

This batch turned out 9 large, fluffy biscuits and the cost was $0.53!

Are you ready to give biscuit making a try?

If you do, leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out.

This entry was posted on 8:00 AM and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

I feel like you posted this for me, so....yes, I will try again. Not today, maybe Wed. - I'll let you know how it turns out:)

Post a Comment