Bargain Meal - Bi Lo (3/18/09)  

Posted by: Julie in

Bargain Meal of the Week
It's been one of those weeks and I'm sorry that I am way behind on posting the Bi Lo Bargain meal for this week.

Let me say that I AM NOT an asparagus eater. I have tried it and I just don't like it. Sorry.
However, I recognize a good deal when I see one *smile* and Bi Lo has fresh asparagus on sale for $0.99 per lb (you save $3.00 per lb!!)

I just received my free copy of Kraft Food and Family magazine and wouldn't you know, in it is a recipe for asparagus. So here you go...

Bacon and Caramelized - Onion Asparagus(picture from Kraft Food and Family)
  • 3 slices bacon ($.50)
  • 1 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus spears, trimmed ($1.49)
  • 1 TBS water
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions ($0.14)
  • 1/2 cup light ranch dressing ($0.68)

Cook bacon in non stick skillet 3 - 5 minutes or until crisp, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels. Discard dripping from skillet. (Do no wash skillet)

Place asparagus in microwaveable casserole or 10 x 4-inch dish. Add water. Microwave on HIGH 4 - 5 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Meanwhile, add onions to skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in dressing

Drain asparagus; top with sauce and crumbled bacon.

Total Cost: $2.81




This entry was posted on 11:06 AM and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

HI!
Next time try them roasted -- just toss with a little olive oil and salt and put in a hot oven for about 5 minutes or until they look a little shriveled and browned.

Yummy taste without the slight sliminess which I think makes some people not like asparagus!

However, I would like it very much prepared the way you show it!

Post a Comment