Bi Lo Bargain Meal (3/04/09 - 3/10/09)  

Posted by: Julie in


Bargain Meal of the Week

Today's meal is a favorite stand-by at my house...
Breakfast for dinner :-)

On the menu:
Homemade Biscuits
Eggs - cooked your favorite way
Bacon or Sausage - your choice

This week Bi Lo has Hormel Little Sizzlers
Sausage Links 12 oz on sale 3/ $3.
They also have Clear Value Bacon 16 oz 2/ $5.

Now at my house the choice is bacon and for the 6 of us I cook the entire 16 oz. ($2.50)

Eggs are running about $1.40 per doz. For the 6 of us I normally fix 10 eggs.($1.20)
3 of us have fried eggs and 3 of us have scrambled.

Here is how my make homemade biscuits. ($0.53)

2 cups self rising flour ($0.24)
1/2 stick of margarine (you can use butter) ($0.09)
about 1 cup of milk (for the BEST biscuits, use buttermilk!) ($0.20)

Crumble your margarine into your flour until it is coarse like cornmeal. Add your milk. You may not use the entire cup of milk. Just add enough to make a soft dough that is not very sticky. Turn your dough out onto a floured surface and knead just enough to make everything stick together. DO NOT OVER WORK YOUR DOUGH! It will make for tough biscuits. Pat out into desired thickness and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet with the biscuits touching one another. Bake at 400* until the tops of the biscuits are lightly browned. Brush tops of biscuits with butter. Serve with jam, jelly, preserves, honey or butter ;-)

Total Cost for family of 6:
$4.23

This entry was posted on 10:14 PM and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

mmmmmm...homemade biscuits are my favorite - what time did you say supper is?:)
I cannot make homemade bisuits! I have tried and tried for years, but just cannot do it. I can make anything else you could ask for, but those. Enjoy!

Sorry, i posted my bacon comment on the wrong post. It is 12am and I am on reading blogs.LOL

Post a Comment