Bargain Meal - Ingles (2/22/09)  

Posted by: Julie in


Bargain Meal of the Week
Sorry I'm late on this guys.
It's been a birthday weekend for us plus super busy at church.
I didn't even find time to get my newspapers this Sunday *gasp*

Anyway....onto the Bargain Meal of the week.

Ingles has ground beef on sale for $1.98 per lb
if you buy 5 lbs or more.
Go ahead and get some. That is a really good price for ground beef.
I like to split my package up and stock the freezer.
I take one pound of meat and put it in a freezer bag.
An Easy - Peasy way to save money.

Today I've got a great meatloaf recipe for you.
It's from Paula Deen so you KNOW it's gonna be good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Barbeque Meat Loaf
1 - 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 onion, diced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (I use regular mustard if I don't have Dijon on hand)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup of water, to thin sauce if necessary (I don't use this)

Pre-heat oven to 350*. Mix together beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce.. Form this mixture into a loaf and place it in a shallow pan. Stir together the remaining tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and water (if too thick). pour this sauce over the meat loaf. Bake for 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices.

This recipe serves 6.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm figuring you already have most of these basic ingredients on hand and will just need to pick up...

1 - 1/2 lbs Ground Beef $2.97
2 cans tomato sauce $1.00

Cost: $3.97 to serve 6

Add some mashed potatoes and peas (our favorite sides for meat loaf) and you've got a great, comfort food supper!

At $1.98 per lb, try to think of some other dinners to use ground beef in. We love tacos, hamburgers, fried hamburger steaks, chili, spaghetti...the possibilities are nearly limitless.

A great time saver is to cook up batches of ground beef to freeze and use later. I'll cook ground beef, add taco seasonings (I have a great recipe for this), cool and put in a freezer bag and pop in the freezer. Later on, when I'm ready to have tacos all I have to do is re-heat the meat.

You can do this with spaghetti sauce, too. Cook your ground beef, drain and add spaghetti sauce. Cool then freeze.

I also like to pre-make hamburger patties. Press them out without over working the meat. Place wax paper between patties so they don't stick together. Put in freezer bag and freeze.

I hope these bargain meals are helpful to you.
Enjoy!


This entry was posted on 10:51 PM and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

I got some great deals at KMart on Sunday, don't forget they are doubling up to $2. My favorite thing is the $7 razors I got for less than $1 per 3 pack:) I used to cook hamburger meat before I froze it, and then I got lazy. I am going to do that the next time I buy and save myself some time later! Have a great week!

Hi!! Thanks for the comment!! I will go check that out ASAP!!!

Michelle
www.theadventuresofsupermom.com

The meatloaf recipe sounds great. I'll have to try it. One of my boys won't eat meatloaf with onions in it so I have mini loaf pans that I make little ones without onions. He might eat this one though.

Post a Comment