Bargain Meal - Ingles (2/08/09)  

Posted by: Julie in

$5 Dinners is host to "Bargain Meal of the Week".

Here is her description of this new weekly feature:

"Bargain Meal of the Week is a weekly roundup of all the best bargain meals from different grocery stores around the country.

Different contributors from all over the US browse their grocery store circulars and come up with an "uber cheap" recipe based on what ingredients are on sale that week in their store. They post the recipe or meal ideas on their site and link them to the Bargain Meal of the Week post."



I think this is a really neat idea and wondered what I could come up with using our local stores.

Of course Bi-Lo and Publix haven't released their new ad, but the Ingles (South Carolina) ad came out Sunday.

Here's what I came up with:
  • Barilla Pasta 16 oz (spaghetti noodles) : $1.00

  • Honeysuckle White 85% Lean ground turkey: $1.98

  • Del Monte Traditional Spaghetti Sauce: $1.00

  • Laura Lynn 10 oz Veggie Steamers Broccoli: $1.00

  • Total Cost: $4.98

    If you prefer to have a salad with your spaghetti you can get the Fresh Express Salad Kit for $2.50 to replace the broccoli and your cost would be $6.48.

    Some folks don't serve a side with spaghetti which would put your cost at $3.98 or you could add toasted bread for a few more pennies.

    This would easily feed a family of 4 and would even feed my family of 6 (my kids aren't big eaters).
    ********************************************************

    Here's another deal for you:
  • Tyson whole chickens: $0.98 per lb ($3.92 for 4 lbs --you will only use 1/2 of the chicken-- $1.96)

  • Del Monte French Cut Green Beans $0.67

  • Dutch Yellow Potatoes: $2.98 per bag (these don't have a weight listed but I'm thinking it's a 5 lb bag. You'll only use 1/2 of these $1.49)

  • I like to put my chickens in the crock pot. I sprinkle them with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder inside and out. I add a bout 1/2 cup of water to the crockpot, put on the top and cook until the chicken is very tender. I pull all the meat off the bone and serve on a platter. At this point you'll want to reserve 1/2 of the chicken for another meal. (Soup or a casserole is a great use for this. You can even pop it in the freezer to use later) Be sure to strain the juices from the chicken to make gravy.

    Use 1/2 of the potatoes to make mashed potatoes.

    Heat up the can of green beans.

    Cost of this meal: $3.65
    *************************************************

    What do you think? Did you find this helpful? Leave me a comment and let me know :-)

This entry was posted on 7:58 PM and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

Would you like to do this weekly? Let me know and I will put you in the main permanent post. Email me!

Erin

Post a Comment